Rivers and lakes are valuable features of our natural landscape in addition to being valuable sources of water. These water bodies enhance the aesthetics of the landscape, offer us space for recreational activities, provide homes for flora and fauna and also influence microclimate.
ECOSOFTT offers expertise to restore and conserve rivers, lakes and other water bodies that have been degraded due to human activity, such as discharge of untreated wastewater and over-exploitation of water resources that upsets the natural ecosystem.
- Prevention of pollution by interception and decentralised treatment of wastewater entering rivers and lakes
- Management of solid waste around the water bodies and catchment areas
- Enhancement of waterfront and catchment areas, such as storm water management, institution of buffer zones and silt traps
- Cleaning of water through low cost methods such as de-silting and cultivation of appropriate species for bioremediation
- Prevention of pollution by communities living along waterfront, such as through awareness and provision of sanitation
- Mobilization of local communities to participate in concerted effort
- Planning of waterfront development to improve environmental and economic sustainability